Installation, Dependencies and Compatibility¶
- in Windows, pygame http://www.pygame.org
- in unix-like OSes libraries sdl 1.2 and sdl-mixer 1.2; in debian/ubuntu their packages are libsdl1.2 and libsdl-mixer1.2
- in Mac, theres no confirmed info. Should be similar to unix.
What explicit dependencies are declared in the setup.py ? six and pyglet
Compatibility notes at the time of writing, April 2015
- python : cocos needs python 2.6, 2.7 or 3.3+ The cocos codebase has direct support for 2.x and 3.x, so no need to run 2to3
- pyglet : pyglet 1.2 or better
Have a modern setuptools or pip installed.
pip install cocos2d
should work, you will miss the docs and code samples. Its is therefore recommended to
install six and pyglet
download cocos2d-0.6.4.zip from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cocos2d/
decompress to a convenient location, the top dir will be cocos2d-0.6.4
the html docs will be in cocos2d-0.6.4/doc/html
useful code samples will be in cocos2d-0.6.4/test, cocos2d-0.6.4/samples, cocos2d-0.6.4/utest
install by:cd cocos2d-0.6.4 setup.py install
or alternatively by pointing that directory from a .pth or PYTHONPATH
All of cocos should be usable now, with the possible exceptions
- cocos particles
- SDL audio backend
- AVBin (pyglet) audio-video backend
If you want to add these, look at the dependencies section.
- It is safe to point a checkout of cocos from a .pth or PYTHONPATH both
- in python 2.x and 3.x; the same checkout can be pointed at the same time from both pythons.
Remember that pyglet does python 3 compatibility by running 2to3 at install time, so while a pyglet checkout can be pointed from a .pth or PYTHONPATH in python 2.x, that will not work for python 3. (this is valid for pyglet < 1.3; with pyglet 1.3+ the 2to3 will not be neccesary)